Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creature of the night

I've always been a night owl.  Maybe, it's because Dad worked for the railroad and got calls all hours of the day and night.  I remember many times, Mom and Dad would bring someone home from the Elks Club and feed them.  When I was working outside the house, I'd immediately revert to staying up late and sleeping in on vacations and holidays.  It doesn't help that my husband works second shift and I want to be up when he gets home at 11pm.  When my previous job went to a four day workweek, I saw the blessing of a three day weekend, but oh lordy, was it hard to get into work at 7am!

But, when I started writing again, I found myself actually being more productive at 3am.  I'd plug in my flash drive loaded with music, turn off the TV and edit or write until the sun came up or I got too tired to focus on the screen of my laptop.  I'd sleep a couple of hours, fix lunch to eat with my husband, then doze in the afternoon. 

My problem with keeping an irregular schedule is that I tend not to get enough sleep.  Not only do I get cranky (a situation I gave my heroine in Seven Days), I am not really taking care of myself.  Often, I'll end up with a sinus infection.  Of course, I blame not getting enough sleep and the sedentary nature of writing for the tonnage I've gained over the past year. 

So, not only am I making a commitment to writing, with the longer days of spring fast approaching (and my semi-annual doctor's appointment where I know he'll yell at me!), I am making a commitment to taking better care of myself.  I'm going to try to get a regular sleep schedule going and be more conscious of keeping a regular eating schedule too, so I won't get famished and eat a couple of servings at a time, instead of several small meals through the day.  I can't guarantee, but I'm going to try. 

Can't you just hear Master Yoda saying, "There is no try.  There is only do or do not"?  What will you do for your spring resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment