Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Attack of the triffids and an apology

First off, I want to let you know why I haven't done any writing the past 24 hours.   Yesterday evening, I was going to put some of the new and used books we'd gotten recently in a storage bin, so I grabbed a handful off the shelf.  Only to discover a bazillion ants behind.  I panicked and did what I did when I discovered The World's Largest Spider in our apartment 23 years ago.  I replaced them and went back into the office (the furthest away) to wait until my husband got home.  I did some prep work, getting the step stool and a half-dozen very large zipper seal plastic bags in place.  I also got some advice from folks on Facebook (thanks all!) and got some corn meal, ant traps and baking soda out too. 

But, I'm not proud of the way I reacted.  I'm usually pretty fierce in handling stuff like this.  It's not like they were spiders.  So, when Chris got home, he got the ant spray, I started loading books in the sealed bags (freak!freak!freak!) and the great ant massacre began.  Turned out the infestation affected both bookcases on either side of the window in the dining room, about four shelves down.  Chris had a little bit of a tantrum, because neither of us had done what we should have done and cleaned and reorganized what was essentially a storage room.  I agreed and tried to put a positive spin on matters that at least the nasty critters hadn't invaded the cat food or the kitchen. 

Last year, the ants invaded the warmth of the cable box, which is right in front of a window.  The year before, they invaded my flatbed scanner, which was, you guessed it, right in front of a window.  This time, we don't have a clue what they were going after.  Doesn't matter, just that the cats forgave me for shutting them in the bedroom upstairs until we could get everything cleaned up and dry.  I'll heal pretty quickly, I'm sure.  But, we both were feeling things crawling on us all night and Chris is sure he'll get Parkinson's from all the bug spray he's inhaled.  Ugh!  I'm leaving the bags sealed for about two weeks, then we'll get things organized.  I did get my writing notes out of the dining room and in the office.  They'll go into the bookcase with my notebooks and reference books tonight or tomorrow.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I posted here and on FB, as well as many others, a quote I didn't attribute correctly.  My friend, Brenda, gave me the link for the article explaining the mistake and it seems I'm in good company, but still, my apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment