Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

At the movies

My husband and I went to see "The King's Speech" this afternoon and I really loved it!  It's not only a story of friendship, it also highlights the love story between the King and Queen.  Of course, I've always had a love jones for Colin Firth, but he really earned my respect for his skills as an actor.  It's not as easy as it looks.

Also, my husband and I went on another "The Hangover" binge, where we have to watch it every time it's on, even though we have the DVD.  There are so many great scenes, you don't want to turn it off, because you anticipate the next one.  We're shouting out lines at the TV (remember MST3000 or "Rocky Horror"?) and laughing like fools at something we've seen a dozen times.  One of our friends hasn't seen it yet and like "Office Space," she'd probably be better off not watching it.  It could never live up to expectations.

But, my novel is filled with scenes of dialog.  No long narratives describing the setting for me--we've got too much happening.  After some investigation and discussions with my husband, I think I might have a go at turning it into a script.  I saw it all in my mind as I wrote each scene and when I re-read it, I hear each character.  It's also an issue of $$$$, as even a beginning scriptwriter would get significantly more money than the average advance for a book.  Of course, the natural discussion is what actors would play my characters, though some authors warn not to mention a specific one, because the reader won't be able to see anyone else. 

All of this is simply at the stage of positive thinking right now.  Have you seen a movie after you've read a book that really hit it dead on?  Or one that really disappointed you?  I thought "Silence of the Lambs" did justice to its source material, acting, casting, tension, etc.  On the other hand, I can think of a half dozen movies that were like wha-wha-whaaaa.  "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub was one of them and "The Postman" by David Brin another.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment