Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

We are all writers in one way or another

A long time ago, I was asked to speak on writing before a small group of women.  I tried to make the talk entertaining and humorous, but my point was that many people say they want to be a writer and you can be.  It depends upon what degree you want to be.  I found something that backs me up.  I found a $1 page-a-day calendar called "For Women Who Do Too Much" and for Jan. 17th, they have, "There are more secret writers among us than we realize."  It mentions journaling, making notes or lists and ends with, "Women are writers." 

When I suggested at the talk that they could start keeping a journal as a beginning to a writing career, I got some terrified looks.  The basic response was, "Who has that much time?"  Granted, many of the women were young mothers or had careers, but even jotting down a few lines about your day will help clear your head.  Maybe, you overheard a smart quip or read a wonderfully inspiring quotation?  Maybe, your kid had a good report card or said, "Mommy, I love you!"  At the end of the week, month or year, you'll be able to look back on your little notebook and relive that moment with joy.

Michael's had some pretty blank books in their $1 bin, 100 pages for you to start.  Do you keep a list of your books or your movies?  I do.  It helps when you're trying to remember that title to tell your friend or to make sure you don't pick up a second copy at the used book store (guilty...).  The Good Reads website has a place where you can do a few lines for review and share with your friends or even join a book club.  A friend's daughter blogs and shares pictures with her, almost half-way across the country.  I've seen gorgeous scrapbook pages with brief stories printed out to go along with the pictures to preserve the memory.  That is all writing. 

I just take all those experiences, even the ones I experience vicariously, mix them with a vivid imagination and turn it into fiction.  The calendar page also has, "When we speak our truth in our writing, even if it's only for our own eyes, we are cleaned and healed."  Indeed.  It's cheaper than therapy for me.  If it will bring happiness or entertainment to others, I'm truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment